|Health Promotion Services - Safe Communities/SAFE KIDS Chapter Overview
|The mission of the Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter is to make Weber-Morgan Health District a safer place for children by preventing injuries and fatalities through:
The four primary target injuries are:
- Raising Community awareness
- Promoting safety
- Influencing policies
- Establishing private & public partnerships
The goals and objectives of the Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter are:
- Motor vehicle
- Pedestrian & bicycle safety
- Home safety (poisoning, fire/burn, falls, drowning, firearms)
- Other safety issues effecting the health and well being of children in the Weber-Morgan Health District.
Highlights of the Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter
- Reduce the number of motor vehicle injuries and death in Weber-Morgan Health District by increasing safety belt use.
- Increase the number of children in properly secured child safety seats.
- Increase the knowledge and practice of correct pedestrian skills.
- Increase the use of helmets for bicycle and skateboarding and increase the knowledge of correct bicycling rules.
- Increase cooperation and coordination of injury control prevention in the Weber-Morgan Health district.
- The Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter distributed more than 1000 bicycle helmets.
- The Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter was the first and only county in Utah chosen to be one of the 40 sites in the United States to participate in SAFE KIDS "Walk This Way" in 2000, and has continued with the program each year.
- The Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter has checked over 800 car seats in community car seat checkpoints.
- The Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter has distributed more than 500 child passenger restraints.
- The Weber-Morgan SAFE KIDS Chapter has educated over 100 community members who work with parents of young children on the child safety restraints.